Arsenal defeated Manchester United 1-0 in the 37th round

Arsenal keeps the title race alive with three points against Manchester United.

Arsenal defeated Manchester United 1-0 in the 37th round of the 2023-2024 Premier League (PL) season at Old Trafford in Manchester, England, at 0:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday.

Arsenal’s five-game unbeaten streak propelled them back to the top of the standings with 86 points (27 wins, 5 draws, 5 losses). They remain in a tight title race, with a one-point lead over Manchester City (85 points), who have played one game less.

On the other hand, a winless United remained in eighth place with 54 points (16 wins, 6 draws, 14 losses). Three points separate sixth-place Newcastle United and seventh-place Chelsea (57 points). At this rate, they will miss out on European competition next season.

The home team came out with a 4-2-3-1 formation. Rasmus Hojelin, Alejandro Garnacho, Scott McTominay, Ahmad Diallo, Sofiane Amrabat, Kobi Mainu, Diogo Dalot, Jonny Evans, Casemiro, Aaron Wambisaka, and Andre Onana started in the back four.

The visitors started in a 4-3-3 formation. Leandro Trosar-Kai Havertz-Bukayo Sakho, Declan Rice-Thomas Partey-Martin Ødegaard, Takehiro Tomiyasu-Gabriel Magalhaes-William Saliba-Ben White, and David Luiz started up front.

United were disappointed.

In the fourth minute, United pressed forward and stole the ball away from Pati in a high position, giving Hoilearn a great chance, but he slipped and shot wide.

United continued their early offense. In the seventh minute, Garnacho had a shot from inside the box that sailed over the bar. In the 10th minute, United pressed hard and forced Arsenal into mistakes, but it didn’t pay off.

Arsenal took the lead. In the 20th minute, Haberz drove to the right side of the box and sent a ground ball cross in front of the goal. It was met by Troosar, 스포츠토토 who rushed in and finished with his foot. For United, Casemiro’s inability to read the defense and then lose Trosar proved fatal.

The frustrating flow continued. Neither team created much of a threat. United manager Eric ten Haag shook his head and shouted instructions, but nothing much changed. The first half ended with Arsenal leading 1-0.

United continued to dominate possession in the second half, looking for an equalizer. They tried to attack down the flanks, centering on Garnacho, but they lacked sharpness. There was a lack of chemistry between the teammates, which led to some misplaced passes.

Arsenal had a good attack. In the 19th minute

Troosar dribbled past Wambisaka and crossed into the box. Haberz cut the ball back with a neat one-touch pass, and Ödegaard had his sights set on goal with a left-footed curling shot. However, he couldn’t get enough power on his shot and it was saved by the keeper.

Arsenal attacked with some fine passing play, but couldn’t finish. In the 10th minute of the second half, after being released in a tight area, Rice fired a mid-range effort that was blocked by the physical defense. Xhaka’s subsequent effort was also blocked by the defense.

It was the first time United threatened in a long time. In the 32nd minute, on a counterattack, Garnacho broke into the box. But his left-footed shot, half a beat quick, hit the side netting.

Arsenal couldn’t escape. In the 33rd minute, Gabriel Martinelli broke down Wambisaka with a dribble and advanced to the center of the box before firing a powerful shot. It looked like it could have been a goal, but Onana stretched out to palm it away.

Onana’s saves continued. In the 38th minute, Wambisaka nearly scored an own goal when she headed home a corner kick, but Onana was there to make the save. Rice’s subsequent elaborate curling effort was also saved by Onana.

United pushed for an equalizer in stoppage time, but to no avail. Garnacho’s shot in the third minute of stoppage time was not even on target, and his final cross was easily saved by the keeper. The game ended with a 1-0 victory for Arsenal.